Promise & Law
All Girl Guides make a special promise, generally in the presence of their leaders, parents, and other Guides.
The promise defines the way we try to live our lives, setting the standard that we expect of ourselves, the way we treat others and the commitment to our community.
Once a Guide has made her Promise, she wears a Promise Badge. The Promise Badge is shaped a a trefoil (like a three-leaved clover), with each leaf representing a part of the Promise that has been made. As part of the Guide Promise, each girl commits to trying to keep the Guide Law.
Thousands of members contributed to the Promise and Law Review process. Their thoughts and feelings shaped the new wording. The result is a Promise and Law that reflects our community and the fundamental values of Guiding.
Learn about the launch of the revised Guide Promise in 2012.
The Guide Promise
I promise that I will do my best:
- to be true to myself and develop my beliefs,
- to serve my community and Australia;
- and live by the Guide Law
The Guide Law
As a Guide I will strive to:
- Respect myself and others
- Be considerate, honest and trustworthy
- Be friendly to others
- Make choices for a better world
- Use my time and abilities wisely
- Be thoughtful and optimistic
- Live with courage and strength