The Bee Challenge
Several Ballarat Guide Units have taken on the challenge of learning about bees.
May 20th is World Bee Day, the perfect opportunity to focus on the significance of bees for our survival.
There is a world-wide bees crisis that is destined to cause problems for people too. One third of Australian food and 65% of crops are dependent on pollination.
Our Guides have found the topic of bees very interesting and will continue to learn more throughout May. Some groups have already:
- visited a local bee keeper to learn about bees and how honey is made
- made up songs about bees
- played bee-themed games
- decorated ‘bee art’
- made hand scrub from raw honey
- learnt about the body parts of bees
- visited apiaries
- learnt about the life-cycle of bees
- planted a bee-friendly flower
There are more activities and challenges planned for this topic, so stay tuned for updates from the various units.
Anybody interested in bees is welcome to work on the challenges and earn and earn a Bee Challenge badge.