Perhaps you can help unravel the mystery of Ethel Roberts……
Ethel’s grandson, Andrew, is keen to find out information about Ethel and her time as a member of the Daylesford Girl Guides.
This is what we know …..
- Ethel was born on October 15, 1901.
- Her father was Harold Roberts and he was a mine manager of the Maxwell Mine.
- Her mother died when she was young.
- This photo was probably taken when she was around 10 years of age. The photo is possibly just on 100 years old.
- Ethel’s maiden name was Roberts. She married Sydney Addison in Melbourne in about 1928. At some point she began calling herself June, so her records may have a combination of any of these names.
Cherie: the badge on her hat more closely resembles a Scout emblem than a Guide emblem. Did it look like that in the original days? Does the uniform look familiar?
Dossie: Daylesford Guides started in 1918 and formed its own district in 1928. The uniform doesn’t look familiar.
Cherie: This means that either Ethel is older than we thought in the photo, or this is not a photo of her at Guides.